KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- The Astros had yet to set their 25-man roster by Wednesday afternoon. General manager Jeff Luhnow said earlier in the week he would like to have the roster set by the time the Astros head to San Antonio on Thursday for a pair of exhibitions against the Rangers.
Houston manager Bo Porter said the roster hadn't been set because the Astros could grab someone on waivers. They have the first shot to claim someone on waivers because they had the worst record in the big leagues last season.
"When you get to this time of year, there's going to be players that are going to become available," Porter said. "Fortunately or unfortunately, we do have the No. 1 pick on a waiver claim, because of our finish last year. We're going to explore all the opportunities that may present themselves. You never know. It may affect our roster as it stands today."
Two years ago, the Astros claimed outfielder Justin Maxwell early in the season, so Luhnow isn't shy about making a claim.
"Each of them comes with a cost, because you have to claim them and put them your roster and take somebody off," Luhnow said. "We evaluate that. I will tell you these days we're meeting every day at least once, probably twice, as a staff and do our research. This is the time of year with clubs setting their 25-man roster in the next couple of days, every guy that's out of options is available."
The Astros have 26 healthy players in camp, so they have one remaining cut to make, which will be catcher Carlos Perez. The Astros announced after Wednesday's game that the final spots in the starting rotation will be filled by Lucas Harrell and Dallas Keuchel, with Jerome Williams and Brad Peacock heading to the bullpen.
Brian McTaggart is a reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog, Tag's Lines. Follow @brianmctaggart on Twitter. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.