HOUSTON -- It's common practice for teams to add a third catcher when rosters are expanded in September, and Astros manager Bo Porter would definitely like an extra backstop at some point soon. That's probably going to be accomplished when Carlos Corporan comes off the disabled list.
Corporan is one of two Astros catchers on the 7-day disabled list for concussions, along with Max Stassi. Corporan, who was hit in the face mask on Aug. 19, is increasing activity daily and still needs to pass his baseline tests to return.
It's still to be determined if Corporan would need some at-bats in the Minor Leagues.
"That's not a decision we've made yet," Porter said.
Porter is mindful of the workload of starting catcher Jason Castro, who has set career highs in games played (117) and at-bats (424). Porter has started at designated hitter 16 times this year in an effort to keep him fresh.
"As much as we've been able to take care of Castro this year, this last month we need to make sure we can continue that same pattern and keep him fresh and keep him finishing throughout the course of the year," Porter said.
Brian McTaggart is a reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog, Tag's Lines. Follow @brianmctaggart on Twitter. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.