The Astros optioned Wright to Triple-A Round Rock following Monday's 3-1 win over San Diego to make room on the roster for Mike Hampton, who was activated from the 15-day disabled list to start Tuesday's game against the Padres.
"It's always disappointing whenever you get sent back or whatever," Wright said. "It's just part of the business. There's nothing I can do about it except try to make the decision tougher and tougher each time. Hopefully I'll be able to find a home pretty soon here. I know they'll need me back at some point."
Wright, who was voted the Astros Rookie of the Year last year after pitching in 71 games, is being sent to Round Rock a little more than a week after being recalled from the Minors. He pitched three times since being recalled June 16, allowing one hit, two walks and struck out nine in five scoreless innings.
For the season, he's 2-1 with a 5.30 ERA.
"The last two outings Wesley has thrown the ball really well and attacked the zone and kept the fastball down and used his pitches," Astros manager Cecil Cooper said. "He went to Round Rock and did the same thing and pitched well. He understands the circumstances probably than most of us do.
"It's a numbers game sometimes, and when you're the guy on the totem pole that has options, that's what happens. But Wesley is going to pitch a lot for us later on this year. Things have a way of working themselves out."
Brian McTaggart is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.