PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Davenport, Iowa, is a long way from Puerto Rico, but that appears to be where 2012 No. 1 overall Draft pick Carlos Correa will begin the season with the Astros' Class A team in Quad Cities.
The 18-year-old Correa, who went 1-for-4 with an RBI and a stolen base as starting shortstop for the Astros in their 6-2 loss to the Mets on Wednesday night, said the Minor League roster assignments were posted earlier in the day, but he didn't see them because he was traveling with the big club.
"I think I'm going to Quad Cities, Iowa, and I'm pretty excited about being there and doing my best," he said.
Correa joined fellow top prospects Jonathan Singleton, George Springer and Delino DeShields Jr. in traveling with the Astros so manager Bo Porter could give some of his regulars the day off.
"Being here and playing with the big league club is an amazing experience, and you're here with the big league manager and all that you learned, all that you worked for, you try to show it here," he said. "It's pretty fun."
Correa said his first spring in professional baseball went well, and he focused on improvement in all facets of his game.
"Spring was really good," he said. "So far, there's new coaches, so they have been helping us a lot and they know a lot. I'm very excited about starting the season this year. We've prepared ourselves really good this spring, so we're really excited."