KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- The Astros will get a glimpse at the brightest part of their future Saturday, when top prospects Jonathan Singleton and Carlos Correa will join the big league club for its matchup against the Nationals in Viera, Fla.
Astros manager Bo Porter said Friday he wanted to give some of his regulars the day off as the club travels to Space Coast Stadium for a 5:05 p.m. CT game. That opened up an opportunity for Singleton, Correa, outfielder Domingo Santana and a few pitchers who will also join the Astros from Minor League camp. It will be Porter's first real look at Correa, the first overall pick in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft.
"I haven't been able to see much of him," Porter said. "That's part of the reason why we're going to bring him over on Saturday."
Singleton, ranked the Astros' No. 1 prospect by MLB.com, hit .284 with an .893 OPS, 21 homers and 79 RBIs for Double-A Corpus Christi last year. The lefty-swinging 21-year-old will sit out the first 50 games of the regular season, serving a suspension for his second violation of Minor League Baseball's drug policy, but he will start Saturday against Nationals ace Stephen Strasburg.
Correa, 18, played for two of the Astros' rookie-ball affiliates after they drafted him last June, batting a combined .258 with a .705 OPS. Porter said he only saw the right-handed-hitting shortstop in a simulated game this spring.
The 20-year-old Santana, the Astros' 13th-ranked prospect who spent last year with Class A Advanced Lancaster, finished second in the California League in slugging percentage (.536), third in RBIs (97) and fifth in homers (23) while posting a .302 average and .385 on-base percentage.