CHICAGO -- Matt Downs returned to the Astros from Triple-A Oklahoma City, while outfielder Fernando Martinez went on the seven-day disabled list with concussion-like symptoms.
"He came in after the game on Wednesday and said he was having blurred vision and wasn't feeling really well," said Astros manager Brad Mills. "As they talked about it a little bit more, they said it sounds like a concussion-type thing."
Martinez told Mills he had been hit in the head with a pitch at Oklahoma City on May 26, a couple days before being called up to the Astros.
Mills said Martinez's tests came back negative after the game, but a diving play on Wednesday may have triggered post-concussion symptoms. He said Martinez saw team doctors on Friday, and they ordered future tests that can't happen until Monday.
"We're going to be into this thing four or five days before we even get any results," Mills said. "The first doctor he saw said it sure sounds like a concussion syndrome. We weren't going to be able to play him or use him, so we needed to get somebody here."
Downs, who was with the Astros at the beginning of June, rejoined the club from Oklahoma City, providing Houston with another utility player. Brian Bixler, another athlete who can play across the diamond, joined the Astros on Friday when Marwin Gonzalez went on the disabled list. Both Downs and Bixler were in the starting lineup on Saturday.
"Last night they called me after the game," Downs said. "They said they didn't know what was going on, but I was going back up. Kind of a short stay down there."