Astros debating first round of cuts

Astros debating first round of cuts

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- With Minor League spring camp under way on the back fields of Osceola County Stadium, the first cuts from the Astros' Major League camp can't be too far away.

"We're still a few days away," manager Brad Mills said.

The Astros have 63 players in camp and will need some of those extra bodies to get through a schedule that includes two split-squad dates within the next week. General manager Ed Wade said it's not too early to start thinking about cuts.

"But I don't know when it's going to happen," Wade said. "As you know, we don't telegraph that stuff. The extenuating circumstances are these split-squad games. We might be slower than normal because we added the Boston split games later in the schedule, [on Tuesday and 13].

"We have to navigate those and see where we're at before we start sending bodies over [to Minor League camp]. We had been supplementing our unit over here with the [Minor League] mini-camp guys."