Astros decline contract offer to Loux

Astros decline contract offer to Loux

HOUSTON -- The Astros will not be offering a contract to former first-round Draft pick Barret Loux.

Astros general manager Ed Wade told MLB.com on Friday afternoon that the club has decided not to try to sign Loux, the former Texas A&M pitcher and the No. 6 overall pick the 2010 First-year Player Draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks, only to later to be declared a free agent.

Wade wouldn't give specific reasons for the club's decision.

"We've had further internal conversations and we're probably not going to pursue it," Wade said. "We talked long and hard about it and we wanted to make sure we did our advance work and tried to get an arm around the entire situation. At this point in time, it's something we're not going to pursue."

Loux failed a physical following the Draft, reportedly because of arm problems. Major League Baseball declared Loux a free agent and available to sign with any club beginning Sept. 1, awarding Arizona one compensatory Draft pick in the process.

The Astros had interest in the Houston-area product before he was picked by Arizona and twice sent a scout to watch him throw in the bullpen last month in College Station, Texas. Loux went 11-2 with a 2.83 ERA in 16 starts last season as a junior at Texas A&M.

Brian McTaggart is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.